I have just had a few long long insomniac nights and being someone who needs a distraction from losing my mind and crying, combined with my need to make a list with my love and desperation to fill every minute of this month with a festive tune, I have made a little Christmas song list.
I have spent those long lonely dark hours on youtube with my headphones in trying to work out my fave Christmas songs. And I never realised how many songs there are, absolutely shite loads, and a million covers of them too, I had cut it down to a Top 50, but then I thought that was a bit much so went for a Top 25.
I warn you now The Pogues did not make it, I am not a fan.
21. Brenda Lee – Rockin Around the Christmas Tree – this song reminds me of Home Alone, when a little Macaulay Culkin is having a pretend Christmas party
17. Michael Buble – It’s Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas – his voice is so beautiful, I am not much for the crooning but he gets away with it, especially at Christmas
15. Frank Sinatra – White Christmas – you maybe thinking ‘what about Bing?’ but I prefer Frank’s version
14. Band Aid 1984 – Do They Know It’s Christmas? – the best of all the versions, although I have a fondness for the 1989 one as that is the one I remember when I was a kid but the 1984 is the classic
12. Jackson 5 – Santa Claus is Coming to Town – I am surprised I didn’t put this higher as this is the Christmas song I really truly love and I love all versions, my friend Buble does a great version and Bruce Springsteens is one of the best, but Jackson 5 has to be the most memorable
11. Whitney Houston – Do You Hear What I Hear? – that voice!
10. Jon Bon Jovi – Please Come Home For Christmas – what a pretty man…
6. Michael Buble – Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – yes here he is again, singing the classic Christmas song which has been done by everyone, but the Buble does it best
5. Wizzard – I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday – I really do…
3. Nat King Cole – The Christmas Song – beautiful
2. Wham – Last Christmas – cheesy but perfect.
1. Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas – should be annoying, but it isn’t
There were so many songs that didn’t make it that I love, including a New Kids on the Block one – although I don’t think many people will agree with me. 10 days in and I am not bored yet, we’ll see how I am doing in a couple of weeks.